Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Starting Day 4 of my fast

I originally planned to do a water fast for three days (up to New Year's Day.)  But now I plan to extend it to ten days and hope I can persevere without suffering any physical damage.


I think I started this fast on a whim and only read out it after not eating for an entire day.  It's normal for me to almost go through one day eating nothing, and those days probably averaged about once a month.  I had a heavy meal with my father the last day I ate, and it was only until I was on my second day did I surf the web for fasting articles.  Each article I came across mentioned that fasters should prepare for and end each fast with fresh juices and/or raw foods.  I do plan to end the fast with juices.  One thing that I have yet to be clear on is whether or not a  multivitamin should be taken on each day.  I have read arguments from both sides, but I decided to take vitamins because this is my first actual fast.    

The hunger pains associated with the initial days happened like I figured, but I'm used to them.  I do feel extremely relaxed but using the bathroom has been a weird experience that I usually deal with when I'm extremely sick (looking back, I think I kind of fasted but with orange juice only - but that was because I wasn't strong enough to eat solid foods.)  I make sure to drink lots of distilled water on each day.

I mentioned that I originally planned to end my fast on New Year's, but earlier today I had a serious urge to eat some of my birthday cake (my birthday was the same day I had my last meal.)  Other than that, I have no desire for things that I would mindlessly eat like potato chips, candy bars, cookies, sodas, and whatever junk food was around the house.  I live with my father, and he loves to cook big meals.  A lot of those meals are real good but I'm a part-time health nut who is trying to live a long and vital life (God-willing.)  Thinking of my father's meals plus foods like pizza threaten my willpower to continue on this fast.  My dark side tells me to go on an eat one bite; no one will know.  But I'm too aware of myself to settle for just one bite of anything.  Not to mention that the fast is a good mental and spiritual test; almost all attachments that I have dealt with all of my life seem to loosen up as each day passes.

Since I'm on hiatus from school, I use this time to read, meditate, watch a little TV (literally a little - like 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours daily) and post these blogs.  I decided to close both of my Myspace accounts plus my Facebook account for the time being just so I can keep my focus on this fast.  I also cut down my practice time a lot and only do finger exercises away from the piano (which usually takes about five minutes.)  I am singing more though.

If I succeed with this ten-day fast I will really be proud of myself for exercising self-discipline that I felt I lacked all of my life.  During this period I had a chance to think about my long-term goals and to be patient and mindful enough to go through with them.  I really want to go to Amsterdam this year and I want to get back to playing regularly (actually I never really played regularly but I played more before than I'm playing now - which is never.)  I just want to share the music with the world and become a millionaire just like everyone else (ha-ha.) 

0 comments: